Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Group Update #3

February 12, 2013

This week our group put together the environment that our cinematic will take place in. The level was built in UDK using Additive Geometry, with Subtractive Geometry used to make doorways. This process was relatively easy for me, as I have done it so many times before. I build the level, Matt added in the lights and Matinee for flickering lights and Shannon found textures for all of the walls, floors and ceilings. Here is what the main laboratory chamber looks like in the editor:


I really do think the blue specular color is a nice touch. I do not know how Shannon managed to get that effect into the specular map, but it looks really cool. The idea is to have the hero, Jane, run through an abandoned asylum full of mutants. The initial entry point and first area where action will take place looks like this:


Around the corner in this screenshot there are more doors. One of them is propped open, where our legless mutant will come crawling out and chase Jane around the level. My one concern is that we do not have enough in here to make a 1-2 minute cinematic. We shall see when that part of the class rolls around. I made the asylum really big in comparison to the character size. I wanted it to have the feel of being almost not real, but real enough to scare the player. I want to add in blood splatters around the level to give it that really creepy feeling. That will come later when we put the final touches on the level and get ready to film the cinematic. The lights in the whole level flicker constantly, which adds another layer to the ambiance. We hope to find some decent sound effects including screams, footsteps, slithering (for the legless mutant), maniacal laughing and others, just to name a few. We are most likely going to have 2 music tracks that will play during the cinematic, and one will shift into the other at a certain time. I think it is coming along nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment